An Outright Gift of Securities
DURING YOUR LIFETIME
An outright gift of securities
Save in taxes this year
If you would like to support the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Greater Las Vegas with a tax-smart donation this year, a gift of appreciated stocks, bonds or other marketable securities that you have held for more than one year may be just the right gift for you.
How it works
You give securities, you receive an income tax donation, the charitable organization sells the securities, RMHLV receives cash to use for our gift’s purposes.
When making a gift of appreciated securities owned for more than one year, you may receive a double tax benefit:
1. You are generally entitles to a federal income tax deduction based on the current fair market value of the securities, regardless of their original cost.
2. You will be exempt from paying capital gains taxes on any increase in the value of the securities since you acquired them – taxes you would pay if you had otherwise sold them.
3. Mail us your contribution.
4. Let us know if you would like to direct your gift to a particular program or if you would like us to use your gift for our most pressing needs.
Steps to take to make your gift
1. If you have the physical securities, either hand-deliver them to us or mail us the stocks and stock power separately.
2. If you don’t have possession of the physical securities, instruct your broker to electronically transfer your intended shares and notify us once the transfer is complete.
For more information about RMHC’s Planned Giving Program call Alyson McCarthy, Executive Director, 702-252-4663 x 8.